CONF: De se attitudes + Self-Knowledge & Rational Agency, Oslo, June 2010
Arché (St Andrews) and CSMN (Oslo) are pleased to announce two major events on first-person thoughts to be held in Oslo from 6th to 11th June, 2010.
(1) Arché/CSMN Mini-course & Workshop: De se attitudes
Sunday June 6, 2010 - Wednesday June 9, 2010
• Pranav Anand (UC Santa Cruz)
• Andy Egan (Rutgers/Arché)
• James Higginbotham (USC)
• Daniel Morgan (Oxford)
• Dilip Ninan (Arché)
• François Recanati (Institute Jean-Nicod (CNRS)/Arché)
• Seth Yalcin (Berkeley)
(2) Conference: Self-Knowledge and Rational Agency
Wednesday June 9, 2010 - Friday June 11, 2010
• Quassim Cassam (Warwick)
• Fred Dretske (Duke)
• Adrian Haddock (Stirling)
• Pamela Heironymi (UCLA)
• Jennifer Hornsby (Birkbeck/CSMN)
• Richard Moran (Harvard)
• Robert Stalnaker (MIT)
• Crispin Wright (NYU/Aberdeen)
Call for participants / respondents:
We invite postgraduate students and junior researchers (within 5 years of completing Ph.D.) to come as participants to the De Se Mini-course, and as respondents to one of the plenary speakers at the Self-Knowledge conference.
(1) Mini-course & Workshop on de se attitudes
The Workshop and Mini-Course is intended for graduate students and younger researchers (postdocs and junior faculty) working on related topics. Participants from outside St Andrews and Oslo need to apply; see details below.
(2) Conference on Self-Knowledge & Rational Agency
Invited respondents will present brief replies (c. 10 minutes) to one of the plenary talks, to open the question and discussion sessions. Accommodation in Oslo and travel expenses within Europe (or a subsidy of similar amount for invitees outside Europe) of respondents will be paid for by CSMN.
To apply for either event (or both), please send by email:
- Your name and institutional affiliation;
- A brief CV, inc. year of your Ph.D. (if any, 2007 or after);
- Name of a referee;
- A brief statement of up to 200 words for *each* of the event(s) you are applying for (so 2 x 200 words if you are applying for both), explaining the relevance of the themes of the workshop/conference to your research.
- For the Self-Knowledge conference only, names of up to 3 speakers, in order of preference, you would like to respond to. (Please base your choice on the speakers’ relevant published works, as the talks are not yet available at this stage.)
Email your application to:
(1) For De Se Mini-course: firstname.lastname@example.org
(2) For Self-Knowledge conference: email@example.com
and to both of us if you are applying for both events.
Deadline for application: *1st April, 2010*
Notifications of acceptance: By 27th April, 2010
In addition, the conference on Self-Knowledge & Rational Agency is open to all interested philosophy students and researchers (at any career stage) from around the world as (non-speaker) participants. Registration is FREE. Please fill in the online registration form at the conference website http://www.csmn.uio.no/events/2010/self-knowledge.xml by *15th May, 2010*.
For more information please contact:
Dilip Ninan (firstname.lastname@example.org ) for the De Se event; and
Timothy Chan (email@example.com ) for the Self-Knowledge event.